Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Larry's Past...


In my last post I briefly discussed how most people gave Lawrence O'Donnell a pass in his interview with Herman Cain.  I said that if any conservative pundit interviewed President Obama the way O'Donnell did Herman Cain there would be cries of racism.  Then I remembered watching this interview from last May where Mr O'Donnell interviews former Secretary of State Condolezza Rice.  I remember thinking the same thing.  I know some of the controversy of Mr O'Donnell's interview with Mr Cain has died down, but I haven't gotten around to posting this yet and I think it needs to be.  If you watch this interview, you'll see the blatant disregard by Mr O'Donnell for any interviewer/interviewee protocols that have been established over the past decades in television broadcasting.  Larry constantly interrupts Ms Rice and is generally a jerk during the entire interview.  Ms Rice actually threatens to walk out of the interview at one point because of the unrelenting disrespect showed to her by Mr O'Donnell.

The idea behind this is to show that Mr O'Donnell has a history of provoking Conservative African Americans who he interviews for his show.  My point is that if a conservative pundit interviewed Eric Holder and President Obama the way O'Donnell has interviewed both Ms Rice and Mr Cain, there would be a mob outside of the studio protesting how racist that pundit was, which would likely end in the pundit's termination.  Oh well, I guess this type of interviewing is why O'Donnell got bumped from 8pm to 10pm anyway.  He has lost on average 100,000+  nightly viewers compared to Keith Olbermann who previously held that 8 o'clock time slot.  Well, maybe viewers really do recognize poor journalism when they see it.

1 comment:

  1. O'Donnell is clearly a liberal firebrand who doesn't hold back when interviewing conservatives (or, more accurately, anyone with whom he disagrees). But like many other MSNBC anchors, he's not a journalist by training. He has spent the majority of his years on the Senate Finance Committee and as a senior legislative aide. He has obviously been disrespectful to Herman Cain and Condoleezza Rice, but I don't think this amounts to racism, or any sort of racial bias. I don't watch his show often, but I do remember him viciously attacking a white, male, democrat who disagreed with him while on MSNBC.

    ReplyDelete